According to traditional information, First Baptist Church started with a small group of people in South Whitley who wished to be organized into a church. On March 25, 1878, this group was formed into a Baptist church to be known as the First Baptist Church of South Whitley. At that time, services were being held in the town hall until the first building could be built. The first building was located on the corner of Market and Main Street, had hitching racks to accommodate horse drawn vehicles and was lit by lamps. It was 1919 when it was decided to build another building. After many discussions a lot just down the street, on the corner of Main and Mulberry Street, was purchased. The new building was dedicated on January 9, 1927, and has been in continuous use ever since.
In the 1970’s, we were able to expand out missions’ activities and the building to include several new classrooms. These new facilities were dedicated in March of 1976 and two years later we celebrated our 100th anniversary. Since that time we have continued to expand our ministry outreach to the community through children and teen programs.
The old Brethren Church on Mulberry Street was purchased in 2001 and turned into the Schultz Ministry Center. This new building was renovated to include a half court gym and a second fellowship hall. The Schultz Ministry Center is home to many church and community programs, including The Refuge Youth Group, Club Knight, and most recently the South Whitley Community Preschool.
With over 130 years of preaching and teaching the Word of God and ministering to the community of South Whitley we feel blessed and honored to follow in the footsteps of our brothers and sisters in Christ. We hope you will join us as we look forward to how God is going change and use us in the days to come.